Charalambos (Charis) Poullis is an Associate Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering at the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science at Concordia University where he also serves as the Director of the Immersive and Creative Technologies (ICT) lab and as the Academic Code Administrator at the School of Graduate Studies.
Charalambos received his B.Sc. in Computing and Information Systems with First Class Honors from the University of Manchester, UK, in 2001, an M.Sc. in Computer Science with specialization in Multimedia and Creative Technologies (funded by a Fulbright-Amideast scholarship), and a Ph.D. in Computer Science (funded by USC) from the University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, USA, in 2003 and 2008, respectively.
His current research interests lie at the intersection of computer vision and computer graphics. More specifically, he conducts fundamental research in acquisition technologies & 3D reconstruction, photo-realistic rendering, feature extraction & classification; and applied research in virtual & augmented reality.
As a first author, Charalambos was the recipient of the Best Fast-forward Poster Presentation Award in 2007 at the ACM SIGSPATIAL Conference; the Audience Choice Award in 2009 at the IEEE Virtual Reality Conference; and the prestigious Marie Curie Fellowship (International Reintegration Grant) in 2010.
Charalambos serves as:
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Marie Curie Alumni Association (MCAA)
- ACM Cyprus Chapter; also served in the management committee between 2010-2015
- British Machine Vision Association (BMVA)
- International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS)
- Canadian Remote Sensing Society (CRSS)
- Canadian Artificial Intelligence Association (CAIAC)
Active projects serving as Principal Investigator [PI] or Project Coordinator [PC]:
- ACESO: Computer Vision Algorithms for Computer-Assisted Surgical Systems, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Alliance, 2021-2024
- Semantic Segmentation in Geospatial Computer Vision, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Discovery Grant, 2021-2026
- Enhancing Visual Realism of 3D synthetic scene with Deep Learning and Generative models (Presagis Inc, Canada), Mitacs, 2022
- Flood and drought prediction, simulation, and monitoring for the City of Terrebonne (Ericsson Montreal, QC), Mitacs, 2022
- DAEDALUS: Massive-scale Urban Reconstruction, Classification, and Rendering from Remote Sensor Imagery, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, CRD/DND, 2018-2022
- Associate Professor (Strategic Hire), Concordia University, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Assistant Professor, Cyprus University of Technology, Department of Multimedia and Graphic Arts
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Cyprus, Department of Computer Science
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Southern California, Viterbi School of Engineering, Department of Computer Science
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, University of Southern California, Viterbi School of Engineering, Department of Computer Science
- B.Sc. in Computing and Information Systems (First-class Honors), University of Manchester, Department of Computer Science